Want to save the recipe to your device or print off for later? Click link to download a free recipe card! DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD
1⁄2 tsp (2g) sea salt
1 tsp baking soda – at high altitude use 1⁄2 teaspoon
1 cup (225 gr) butter, unsalted at room temp – I love grass feed butter
11⁄4 cups coconut sugar
1 tsp (5 g) vanilla
3 cups gluten free oats
1 cup gluten free flour – I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free AllPurpose Flour Blue Label
1⁄2 cup Date Lady Organic Dates – pitted & chopped
1⁄2 cup 70% chocolate chopped
1⁄3 cup pecans chopped
1 tsp (4 g) Ceylon cinnamon – optional
1⁄8 tsp (.5 g) nutmeg – optional
Maldon salt – to sprinkle on top
g = gram
1. Preheat oven to 340°F (170°C). Line 2 baking trays with Silpat mats.
2. In a medium bowl sift flour, baking soda, sea salt and spices
3. In a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter and coconut sugar until combined well. The goal is just to blend, not aerate, as the cookies will spread if you do.
4. Add vanilla and egg and mix well. Add oats and combine.
5. Add sifted flour, mix and stir well. Add Date Lady Organic Dates, pecans and chocolate, mix well.
6. Shape cookies with a scoop (I use a size #24) and place onto prepared cookie sheets. I place 4 lengthwise x 3 crosswise and flatten them out lightly. Sprinkle with Maldon salt.
7. Bake until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. They should be soft and chewy in the middle. Note: As they cool on the tray, they’ll continue to bake, so make sure you don’t over bake!
Variations: I made these cookies with pecans, chocolate and dates from The Date Lady and loved the ‘turtle’ combination. I also made a mix of yellow raisins, dates, dried apricots and added 1tsp ‘unpumpkin’ pie spice from The Raw Spice Bar to the cookies, instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg; and they were amazing!